[wplug] pam_group.so (was samba "machines" group)

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Wed Jun 29 22:32:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:04 -0400, Chester R. Hosey wrote:
> Or better yet, it sounds like your concern isn't so much adding users to
> groups permanently but allowing them access to resources local to the
> device they're using.
>
> Edit /etc/pam.d/login, enabling the the pam_group.so module (there
> should be a commented entry by default), and
> edit /etc/security/group.conf to add anyone logging in on tty* to the
> proper group at login time. This makes users members of given groups
> based on the terminal from which they're logging in, and doesn't depend
> on GID at all, only group name. This is probably closest to what you're
> trying to accomplish, and is easier than remapping IDs on either system.

This is a great tip :)  After some fussing with group.conf, I have this
up and running.  In my case I'm using pam_group.so in /etc/pam.d/gdm in
addition to /etc/pam.d/login... that stumped me for several minutes
while I banged on Gnome to let me hear sound.

My /etc/security/group.conf line (with initial comment) is:
# services;ttys;users;times;groups
   *;*;*;Al0000-2400;floppy, cdrom, audio, video, dialout, dip, plugdev,
scanner

I'm not sure about the security implications of all those *'s.  But I'm
really happy not having to fight with NIS and system GIDs.

Thanks for the help,
Dane
--
Dane Miller