[wplug] external modem recommendation

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Jun 29 17:23:25 EDT 2005

> What a small world -- I worked for Ed DeHart's latest project
> (aspStation) a few years ago. Ed's a good guy, and sharp, if a little
> unpredictable at times. I still manage to run into his son from time to
> time, although I'm not with the same circles too often these days.

 	That's funny, "unpredictable" wasn't the word generally used to
describe Ed! I learned my systems administration style from him. He was on
the air when I went to interview at Vigilant Minds, but I got to talk to
Stephani for a bit. Their ASP office looked just like the old Henry Street
office, which made me smile a bit remembering the many office-hacks we
performed there. Of course, that was 10 years ago, and now I feel old --
thanks!

 	Lots of people here in Pittsburgh have left in search of greener
pastures (including me!). I met up with some of them working at Lycos in
Waltham, and still talk to other people that have moved to the west coast,
and other places. Most of the stand-out people have left, unless they have
families and are well planted -- there's a few.

(Off Topic:)

> Boston, eh? I lived in Baltimore for two years, and that was bad enough
> traffic-wise. It's definitely good to be back in the Pittsburgh area.

 	Pittsburgh is quite familiar, and cheap! I'll bet Pittsburgh is
far cleaner than Baltimore, and no beltway. By comparison to Boston,
Pittsburgh drivers are polite and courtious, though I have seen people
make a left from the right-hand lane a few times (with no turn signal or
warning).

 	It's nice to live in other areas, and other environments. Gives
you a perspective, and appreciation -- either for Pittsburgh, or wherever
you go by comparison! =_)

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net