[wplug] external modem recommendation

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Jun 29 16:31:30 EDT 2005

> Anecdotally, about six years ago a friend of mine who knew someone at
> Stargate managed to have his port timeout completely disabled. He stayed
> connected through his Debian-based router's internal US Robotics modem
> continually for 29 days without a disconnect. A power failure severed
> the connection, and he ended up getting cable access before trying to
> beat this record. I've seen HSP micromodems (often $8-$13 on Pricewatch,
> and an oft-relabled favorite of several major vendors) that couldn't
> hold a connection reliably past an average measured in minutes.

 	I wonder if that was me, I had done twice my share of RADIUS mods,
both at Stargate, and at Pittsburgh OnLine. I also did quite a bit of AT
command tuning with the USR modems that POL had. I certainly don't
remember them all now, but I was proud of the fact that with my string,
you could pick-up a handset, listen to the screaming of the modem, say
hello once or twice, and hang up the handset -- all without the modem
disconnecting. Might have been one or two of the S registers. Also, I
think X4 would report the actual speed, instead of the serial-port
connection speed.

 	After leaving Pittsburgh for Boston, I swore that I would neve
touch an analog telephone line ever again for data. I consider myself
lucky that I still don't have to!

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net