[wplug] samba "machines" group

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Wed Jun 29 16:24:55 EDT 2005

Thanks for the reply.

I'm dealing with a server (Debian Sarge) doing NFS/NIS and Samba.  I'm
trying to set up a workstation with Ubuntu so it gets users and groups
over NIS.  There are several GIDs < 1000 (system GIDs) that conflict
between the server and the workstations.  For example, the GID 110 is
"machines" on the server and "messagebus" on the Ubuntu workstation.

Note that it is possible to configure NIS to skip the system GIDs and
start above 1000.  While this method would eliminate GID conflicts, it
would also prevent users from accessing system resources like cdrom and
floppy, whose GIDs are 10-115.

So I think I need to synchronize GIDs on the NIS server and the
workstations.  And that's where my original question comes in... is
there a standard GID assignment in Linux?  What is the correct GID for
common system groups?  Does Linux Standard Base specify this?

Dane