[wplug] choosing a wireless AP via nice GUI control?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 24 12:47:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 11:19 -0400, Rick Reynolds wrote:
> I'm running Debian (Sarge still, going to jump to Etch this weekend) on
> a laptop.  I've got the wireless working great.  I run wireless in my
> house with a WEP key in place, but most of my friends' wireless networks
> are wide open.  So when I go to their houses, I end up having to drop to
> a command line so I can enter a "iwconfig eth1 enc off" command, then
> rerun "dhclient eth1" to get an IP address, etc., sometimes running an
> "ifdown / ifup" cycle.
>
> Is there a nice GUI tool that will just show me the wireless networks
> that are available and let me pick one (prompting for passkey if
> necessary), ala Win XP?  I feel like I'm working in the dark ages on my
> high-tech Latitude D800.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Reynolds

I use Wifi Radar[1] just fine under Ubuntu.  It's pretty straight
forward and doesn't have a lot of dependencies.  The new hotness is
NetworkManager[2], but it's loaded with dependencies and is primarily
supported on SuSE and RedHat.

--Patrick

[1] http://www.bitbuilder.com/wifi_radar/
[2] http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/