[wplug] TimeSys article

Drew from Zhrodague drew at auntie.zhrodague.net
Fri Jun 17 22:54:17 EDT 2005

>>> Interesting article in today's Post-Gazette:
>>> <http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05167/522178.stm>
>>

>> Interesting. A guy that just left my company says he knows several of the
>> higher-ups at Timesys. I had sent them a resume and was expressing my
>> annoyance that they hadn't responded. My former co-worker told me it would
>> be best not to pursue it, because they were "a company in trouble."
>>
>> Can't say whether it's true or not... just another data point.

 	hehehehe! I did a three month contract at TimeSys -- after a 4
month interview process. I bitched about that in my livejournal. The HR
lady is an asshole, period. I had to press them to get my first check
before the end of the year.

 	They had some really high-end developers working there, and a
variety of other good people whom have left to work at other companies.
There are more leaving, too, which is a shame -- they've got mostly a good
environment, but I can't imagine (or understand) what they're doing
business-wise. The writing has been on the wall, I guess.

> I can confirm at least a part of this.  I was out of work in fall of 2003 and
> was pretty steadily trying to get into Timesys.  I had an initial interview
> that felt like it went well.  I followed up with a phone call and I got an
> answer along the lines of "we have an opening, but are waiting for budget to
> be approved."  So I called each week for a couple of months.  Eventually I
> quit bothering them.
>
> They take a *very long time* to make a hiring decision.
>
> After the fact, I heard a similar rumor about them having troubles.  That was
> probably spring to mid 2004.  Hopefully this is a sign that they're through a
> rough patch.
>
> But the bright side of things is that their HR person gave my name and resume
> to the company I'm working for now (Panasas) when they were looking for
> someone.  As our HR person described it, they had the attitude of "we liked
> him, but couldn't pick him up.  Maybe you can..."

 	Hehehehe! Good for you, I think I applied for that job too. Open
slots in Pittsburgh have been hard to come by as of late. It's nice to see
this change!

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net