[wplug] kontact

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sun Jun 19 19:55:14 EDT 2005

Hey Everybody,

This weekend I got a new hard drive and installed FreeBSD from scratch.  From
there, I did something I've never done before, for whatever reason.  I used
kontact, and I have to say I was impressed.

Kontact is the KDE integrated PIM.  Its got a calendar (kalendar), kmail, todo
functionality, notes, etc.  I used Outlook for a couple of weeks 5 years ago.
There probably are some similarities between kontact and outlook, but I don't
know.  It doesn't feel like a rip off of anything.  Probably has a lot of the
same features as Evolution, but for me, it always seemed like their were
problems with Evolution.  Nothing I can put my finger on, it just never got
me hooked.

For a while, I have been using Thunderbird / Sunbird as my email and calendar
combo.  I think kontact blows them away.  To me, kontact had better filtering
capabilities (sort by list ID, rather than just To or Cc or From).  The
calendar works great.  I've used it pretty heavilly for two days and haven't
seen any real bugs (try saying that about Sunbird).

So thats it.  All I'm saying is if you're not 100% satisfied with your current
personal information manager, give kontact a try.  The KDE programs always
seemed like bastard children to me (KDE's a desktop environment not a browser
or mail program, right?)  But I have new respect for the KDE krew.

Hope you had a nice weekend,

Mike