[wplug] Multiple Static IP's

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Wed Jun 15 22:25:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:51:00PM -0400, Ken wrote:

> At the moment, I have one for ETH0 (NET) and ETH1 (LOCAL). I was not
> sure which woud be the best approach. Adding cards or as Chris
> suggests.

Sorry, I neglected to answer that part of the question :)

If you've got no need for a dedicated card, there's virtually no
difference.  Why would you *need* a dedicated card?

  - You want more than one network (10.0.0.0/24 and 10.1.1.0/24)
  - You need more bandwidth
	- You're testing arcane network configurations, kernelspace code or
	network devices
	- You need multiple MAC addresses for some bizarre reason

So in general, having multiple addresses on one card is considered A
Good Thing.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)