[wplug] Little Bo Peep Lost Her MBR...

Hagbard Celine hceline at fnordnet.net
Tue Jun 14 23:02:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:42:46AM -0400, Poyner, Brandon wrote:
> Can you describe what happens when you try to boot from /dev/hdb?  Does
> the bios say there is no operating system, do you get a 'LI' or a 'LIL'
> instead of 'LILO'?

Ah!  Sorry about forgetting that.  Upon chaining to the /dev/hdb MBR, I get
eight and a half lines of '90 '.

> Have you tried making a copy of the MBR, filling the partition to 90%,
> and then compare the MBR to the copy?  In other words do a dd of the MBR
> and pipe to md5sum, fill the partition, and then see if the md5sum is
> the same afterwards.
>
> # dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 | md5sum
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> b6c5a9e9419b31a059890ced74a009ac  -

Nosir, but I can do that sometime tonight.

I *can* say, though, that after moving 2.5 Gig of Apollo 11 air-to-ground
audio to /usr/src (thus reducing /dev/hdb1 to 67%), the MBR is holding firm...