[wplug] Little Bo Peep Lost Her MBR...

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Jun 14 10:42:46 EDT 2005

Can you describe what happens when you try to boot from /dev/hdb?  Does
the bios say there is no operating system, do you get a 'LI' or a 'LIL'
instead of 'LILO'?

Have you tried making a copy of the MBR, filling the partition to 90%,
and then compare the MBR to the copy?  In other words do a dd of the MBR
and pipe to md5sum, fill the partition, and then see if the md5sum is
the same afterwards.

# dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 | md5sum
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
b6c5a9e9419b31a059890ced74a009ac  -

Brandon Poyner