[wplug] Looks like today is the day.

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Tue Jun 14 08:55:20 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 06:08 -0400, Carl Trusiak wrote:
> http://news.com.com/Sun+begins+open-source+Solaris+era/2100-7344_3-5745120.html
> http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=10839
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/13/HNopensolaris_1.html
>
> If the one article is correct, the source will be available at 11AM
> EST.
>
> Carl Trusiak, RobustaOS
> http://www.robustaos.com

Only one link is needed for rebuttal:

http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/nomo.html

While it's possible that OpenSolaris may become a hit, I'm not so sure
that Sun's motivation as documented by the first of your links is one
I'd trust to work as planned.

	"The work inside the firewall will begin to happen outside
	the firewall", Goguen said.... By making Solaris open-source,
	Sun hopes to engage developers, including students who will
	become tomorrow's computer administrators and buyers.

To be honest, it seems like they're taking a wiser approach to the
project. For instance, they're making sure that the project will build.
However, I wonder whether people will find compelling reason to hack on
Solaris when enterprise customers will probably have support contracts
that let them contact Sun to fix bugs anyways.

This may catch on, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chet