[wplug] command-line audio player for M4A or AAC

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Jun 13 21:09:14 EDT 2005

I am trying to set up a music server (not for streaming over net, but for
playing out of a local sound card).  It looks like there are a number of
music server programs (mserv, mpd, though I would appreciate suggestions
if anyone has some to give) but they use other software to actually play
the music -- such as mpg123 or mpg321.

The problem is, the default installation of mpg321 on Debian does not play
mp4 or m4a or aac files -- only mp[1-3]. (AFAIK, mp4, m4a and aac are all
the same codec).  Most of the files I want to play were ripped by
RealPlayer into m4a/aac format, and there are many gigs of them.  I don't
want to down-convert them to mp3.

Is there a plugin for mpg123, i.e. for libmp4, or a more fully-functional
commandline player, that can be used to play more modern music files?
The system doesn't have X installed and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon