[wplug] Students get paid to code

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Thu Jun 9 16:05:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:46 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> In case any of you haven't seen this, Google is sponsoring students who
> work on open source projects:
>
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
>
> I'm just bummed that I'm not a student ...

Wow. That makes me really like Google. They said that they've budgeted
enough for 200 participants -- that's $4,500 * 200 = $900,000 donated,
and their list of participating organizations is diverse enough that
actual societal benefit could be pretty widespread. I'm sure they pay
taxes on the stipend as well, so it's probably over a million dollars
they're shelling out.

To Google $1,000,000 isn't necessarily a lot of money, but still looks
like a darned impressive gesture to me.