[wplug] A question of etiquette

Michael Smith michael at smith-li.com
Sat Jun 4 13:25:31 EDT 2005

My opinion on whether top-posting is bad is that email replies should
simply be well-written. When it comes to setting hard-and-fast rules
like "top-posting is bad," you're getting too much into hazy
generalities, some of which are bound to get you in trouble.

Hard and fast rules are bad.

That was a joke. Hard and fast rules are useful for training. For
example, you might tell your kids, "don't talk to strangers," but the
mental rules you apply for yourself about personal safety are far more
complex and dynamic.

If I were to try to express the rules I apply when I decide how to
quote when posting, I might say something like this:
1.	Minimize the amount of repeated material.
2.	Make sure what you're talking about is clear by quoting, restating,
or paraphrasing previous posts.

If you don't understand why #1 and #2 are important, than just bottom
post and don't worry about it.

In this case, I deleted the entire previous post and restated the
question in my first sentence.

Peace,
Mike