[wplug] wireless card on debian

Mike Sussman msussman at na-net.ornl.gov
Fri Jun 3 11:57:09 EDT 2005

I just set up a wirelesss router/AP and card on my Ubuntu system.  The
card/router combo is from D-Link and I got it from Best Buy for $20
after a rebate.  That is BOTH the router and card for $20--seemed like
a good deal to me.  (Card is DLW-G630)

I set up the card on my Ubuntu (Hoary) system without particular
problem, using ndiswrapper.  There was plenty of advice on the web,
but nothing was hard.  Except the plain driver does not support
encryption, so I had to use wpa_supplicant.  I have tested WPA-PSK
and also an unencrypted setup.  I plan to use WPA-PSK, but I have
yet to get my XP box to recognize it.

One caution: the first sample I bought simply did not work and I
brought it back.  The second sample seems to work but sometimes
the signal strength goes away.  I hope I don't have to send it back.

--
Mike Sussman
msussman at na-net.ornl.gov