[wplug] let's get technical and see if anyone is as smart as they think they are

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 20:44:39 EDT 2005

"Chester R. Hosey" <Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com> wrote:

> if I
> # cat file.avi | mplayer -
> or
> # strace mplayer file.avi
>
> then the content is displayed, but mplayer itself will
> not directly display the content. asking this on the
> mplayer mailing list was useless as most of the
> questions on there are of a technical level like "what
> encoder option do I use to make dvd format video?"
>
> I have a few thoughts but does anyone have any
> experience with cfs or mplayer that would be helpful?

Obligatory stupid question from the peanut gallery:

Have you tried this from a non-CFS partition? Can you verify the data
before it gets written to CFS?

I've used mplayer on normal filesystems for a couple of years.  only seeing the weird behavior under the CFS.  seems like mplayer is attempting a failed (stat) call before actually opening the AVI file, but I cannot verify this because strace doesn't fail.

the same AVI, when copied to a non-cfs filesystem works correctly.

http://mail.yahoo.com