[wplug] let's get technical and see if anyone is as smart as they think they are

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 13:14:29 EDT 2005

ok...nuff ranting about all the lusers who top-post.
since this SUPPOSE to be a technical group I do have a
question and we'll see how smart some of you really
are.

I've been using mplayer/mencoder to transcode libdv
video content...some of it is security footage so it
needs to be secure.  I've tried to play AVI files that
reside on a CFS (cryptographic filesystem) but mplayer
says "file not found".  the CFS used 3DES and shadows
a real partition via a pseudo-nfs daemon at poorly
defined port #n.

/home/me/locked/

only shows encrypted junk

/secure/locked

shows the real files and all the unix commands work on
them once I use the correct cattach/key combination

if I
# cat file.avi | mplayer -
or
# strace mplayer file.avi

then the content is displayed, but mplayer itself will
not directly display the content.  asking this on the
mplayer mailing list was useless as most of the
questions on there are of a technical level like "what
encoder option do I use to make dvd format video?"

I have a few thoughts but does anyone have any
experience with cfs or mplayer that would be helpful?