[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Christian Höltje list.wplug at docwhat.gerf.org
Fri Jul 29 13:33:03 EDT 2005

* Rick Reynolds (rick at rickandviv.net) [050726 16:23]:
> I've just had a serious "<keanu>Whoa!</keanu>" moment with the
> Dvorak/qwerty switching.  Now that I've made the above modifications,
> I'm able to use the Gnome tools to adjust things, etc.  I've since added
> a control keystroke such that when I press both CTRL keys at the same
> time I switch from one keymapping to the other.

Heh.

> So I've installed dvorak7min and have been playing with the tutorial
> (it's a curses kind of app).  I was working on a session when something
> came through on IRC.  I clicked over to the other window and typed a
> quick response -- not thinking about the fact that I was in Dvorak.  But
> I found that the keymap had automatically changed back!

In the preferences for Layouts there is a checkbox under the list of
layouts that says something like "Separate group for each window".
Uncheck that.  It's what's setting it up different per window.  It
makes sense for people who use, for example, english and japanese or
something like that, but not for those of us who use Dvorak.

> I'm guessing that the gnome toggle I setup only works per window (??).
> It certainly isn't what I expected, but it turns out that it is decently
> convenient for this transitional time.  I'm hoping that reversing the
> order of the layouts in the tool will also change which one is default
> so that if/when I get myself converted over to Dvorak, it won't be on a
> per window basis only.

It's great, neh?

Ciao!

--
There is not the slightest indication that energy will ever be
obtainable from the atom.

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC

Checked by Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org).
Version: 3.0  / 9314 out of 12306 packages installed