[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Tue Jul 26 17:21:12 EDT 2005

Rick Reynolds wrote:

<snip>

> I added the following lines to my XF86Config file:
>
>   Option "XkbLayout" "us,dvorak"
>   Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"
>
> This has not added a plain "Dvorak" keyboard layout as a choice within
> the big list in the gnome keyboard preferences tool, but it is a
> layout that has already be chosen (along with US English).  And now
> magically, the gnome keyboard indicator applet knows about it as well.

I've just had a serious "<keanu>Whoa!</keanu>" moment with the
Dvorak/qwerty switching.  Now that I've made the above modifications,
I'm able to use the Gnome tools to adjust things, etc.  I've since added
a control keystroke such that when I press both CTRL keys at the same
time I switch from one keymapping to the other.

So I've installed dvorak7min and have been playing with the tutorial
(it's a curses kind of app).  I was working on a session when something
came through on IRC.  I clicked over to the other window and typed a
quick response -- not thinking about the fact that I was in Dvorak.  But
I found that the keymap had automatically changed back!

I'm guessing that the gnome toggle I setup only works per window (??).
It certainly isn't what I expected, but it turns out that it is decently
convenient for this transitional time.  I'm hoping that reversing the
order of the layouts in the tool will also change which one is default
so that if/when I get myself converted over to Dvorak, it won't be on a
per window basis only.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
 When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's
already too late.  -- anonymous Mother in Austin, TX