[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Christian Höltje list.wplug at docwhat.gerf.org
Tue Jul 26 09:47:02 EDT 2005

* Rick Reynolds (rick at rickandviv.net) [050725 14:30]:
> Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
>
> >As for getting support for it in Linux, I just the keyboard layout
> >applet in GNOME (right click on panel->add to panel->keyboard
> >indicator).  A little "USA" should appear on your panel.  Right click on
> >it->keyboard preferences->layouts->add->Dvorak.  Then just click on the
> >USA/Dvo to toggle the active window between standard and Dvorak layouts.
> >

> Hmm...  I'm using gnome 2.8, and I don't get a simple Dvorak option.  I
> see three Dvoraks: dvorak(no), dvorak(se), dvorak(sv).  All three show
> international kinds of characters on them.  I can't seem to choose just
> a straight, English style Dvorak keyboard.  Can anyone point me to a
> package or something I still need?

In my version (Ubuntu) you select "Keyboard Preferences" then
"Layout" tab, then click "Add".  Scroll down to "Dvorak" and click
on it ONCE.  Do not expand the item (it has a triangle, so it is a
folder as well), just select it.

Another thing I found to help my wrists was going into "Layout
Options" tab (right of "Layouts") and clicking on "Control Key
Position" causing it to expand.  If you have the bug in Fedora Core
3 (or was it 4) and cannot see the names of the labels, it's the 4th
one down.  Then select "Make CapsLock an additional Control". :-)

I find not reaching for the darn control key in it's normal location
really is a wrist saver.

Ciao!

--
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth.

The Doctor What: Kaboom!                         http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC

Checked by Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org).
Version: 3.0  / 9314 out of 12306 packages installed