[wplug] Database front ends

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Tue Jul 26 08:56:38 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 00:51 -0400, David Ostroske wrote:
> On 7/25/05, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > Rob Knapp said:
> >
> > May sound odd, but I've found PHP works great.
> >
> > Newer versions of PHP have a GTK binding that makes GUI development
> > fairly easy, and the capability to to use PHP as a general-purpose
> > interpreted language has improved a lot over the last year.  PHP also
> > has built-in support for most popular databases.  (All I really care
> > about is PostgreSQL ...)
>
> Hey Bill. PHP completely slipped my mind! I've seen PHP code for
> databases (many moons ago, and for MySQL), so what you're saying
> actually makes sense to me.
>
> I do have reservations, though. PHP has a reputation for being
> somewhat insecure. I'm not sure how well-founded those accusations
> are, though.
>
> Don't know about portability, but I do have an unfounded fondness for GTK.

Some GTK apps are portable, but unfortunately many GTK apps also require
other libraries that aren't so readily available under Windows.

I do agree that PHP is good; it does some things quite well. Interacting
with databases is one of them. If you've never used PHP+MySQL, well,
it's really really really (really!) nice.

Really.

Chet