[wplug] OT -- Dvorak keyboard

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Mon Jul 25 17:57:06 EDT 2005

Rick Reynolds wrote:

> Hmm...  I'm using gnome 2.8, and I don't get a simple Dvorak option.
> I see three Dvoraks: dvorak(no), dvorak(se), dvorak(sv).  All three
> show international kinds of characters on them.  I can't seem to
> choose just a straight, English style Dvorak keyboard.  Can anyone
> point me to a package or something I still need?
>
> I'm running Debian testing, BTW.

Some googling put me onto a solution that seemed goofy, but it worked.
I added the following lines to my XF86Config file:

   Option "XkbLayout" "us,dvorak"
   Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"

This has not added a plain "Dvorak" keyboard layout as a choice within
the big list in the gnome keyboard preferences tool, but it is a layout
that has already be chosen (along with US English).  And now magically,
the gnome keyboard indicator applet knows about it as well.

I would have thought that I needed to install a package of keyboard
layouts or something similar that contained the plain, English Dvorak
layout so that it would appear in the big list of choices.  But gnome
has figured it out.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
 There is no reason ever to have the same thought twice, unless you like
having that thought. -- David Allen