[wplug] dialup security

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Jul 19 09:01:25 EDT 2005

> On 7/18/05, Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Most of the stuff I read and configs I see security-wise (firewall,
> > SNORT, IDS, etc) assume one has a 24x7 net connection! I am
> wondering
> > if anyone has found some good security resources for dialup users
> > using PPP? I'm running Debian unstable with 2.4.18 kernel.
>
> I'd do the same thing you'd do with a 24x7 connection -- run a
> personal firewall, make sure your antivirus is good (if you're running
> windows) and use good passwords.

If you don't want to be bothered with setting up your own firewall, you
can consider buying a broadband router that has a built-in com port for
dialup access.  I nearly bought one for the in-laws who live where
typical broadband isn't available, but they ended up getting direcway
satellite internet.  Anyway, I know the SMC model SMC7004ABR has a RS232
port on it for said dial-up option.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office