[wplug] USB files[ystem] FAT32

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:40:17 EDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Logan <lws118 at psu.edu> wrote:
> Ok, after using dd to write 0's to /dev/sda, I think I've completely removed
> ntfs.
> fdisk still says it's Fat32, but when I try to mount it (either with "auto" in
> fstab, or manually "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 mount", or with ntfs) I get:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so

You have destroyed the prior filesystem, but you've never actually
created a new filesystem.  'mount' expects to find a filesystem.
Sadly enough, a fat32 filesystem is not a bunch of zero'd sectors.

Many Linuxes have a mkfs for "DOS" filesystems, so if you wanted to
create a fat32 filesystem, try running:

/sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sda1

(The -F 32 makes it create a "FAT 32" filesystem, instead of 12 or 16
or whatever the default may be)

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com