[wplug] OT - PSU question

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 20:26:36 EDT 2005

On 7/15/05, Brian Gollum <brig at bidlum.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:24:03PM -0400, Chris Romano wrote:
> > I have been thinking about buying a couple VIA EPIA Mini-ITX boards
> > with the 1Ghz C3 chip.  These have very low power demands. So could I
> > take a decent sized PSU and splice a mini-itx connector to one of the
> > 4-pin power cords and run multiple boards from the same PSU?  Is this
> > just a terrible idea?
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the VIA EPIA Mini-ITX boards
> were powered via 20-pin ATX connectors. Or were you thinking of using
> individual DC-DC converters to get the various voltages provided by an
> ATX supply for each board from a single DC source? I suppose you could
> splice multiple ATX connectors onto a single PSU, but then you are
> likely to run into power timing and load issues very quickly.

I was thinking about splicing multiple ATX connectors onto a single PSU.

> Ultimately, I would classify this as a Bad Idea.

Noted

I was planning on playing with them.  What I am really thinking is ...
create my own blade server.  I was thinking that one PSU could power
multiple "blades".   I guess I could use individual PSU's but that
will take up more room.

Thanks,
Chris