[wplug] OT - PSU question

Brian Gollum brig at bidlum.net
Fri Jul 15 19:05:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:24:03PM -0400, Chris Romano wrote:
> I have been thinking about buying a couple VIA EPIA Mini-ITX boards
> with the 1Ghz C3 chip.  These have very low power demands. So could I
> take a decent sized PSU and splice a mini-itx connector to one of the
> 4-pin power cords and run multiple boards from the same PSU?  Is this
> just a terrible idea?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the VIA EPIA Mini-ITX boards
were powered via 20-pin ATX connectors. Or were you thinking of using
individual DC-DC converters to get the various voltages provided by an
ATX supply for each board from a single DC source? I suppose you could
splice multiple ATX connectors onto a single PSU, but then you are
likely to run into power timing and load issues very quickly.

Ultimately, I would classify this as a Bad Idea.

IPower Networks <http://www.mini-box.com/> has several DC-DC converters
that could satisfy the requirement, for example. Also, EPIACENTER.com
<http://www.epiacenter.com/> has mucho info on VIA EPIA systems and
components, as do the VIA Arena and VIA Embedded sites.

Personally, I'm investigating using a VIA EPIA SP-13000 Mini-ITX board
in a Morex Venus enclosure as the basis of a Myth box I am going to
assemble. Eventually.

Best regards, and good luck.

...b.