[wplug] FC4 Java issues

eli eli.heady at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:04:39 EDT 2005

> > Eclipse is running about half as fast as it
> > did on FC3 with Sun's JDK
>
> For a higher performance JVM, try BEA's JRockit.
> http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT=index.htm&FP=/content/products/jrockit
> http://commerce.bea.com/products/weblogicjrockit/5.0/jr_50.jsp
>
> Speed of Java on different platforms:
> http://www.ics.muni.cz/~makub/java/speed.html

That speed comparison is pretty interesting. BEA's JRE definitely starts and
runs Eclipse faster than GNU's and Sun's. I think I might try the SciMark
( http://math.nist.gov/scimark2/ )  benchmark, too.

Thanks for the tip!

> > Or maybe someone can just tell me ... can I just download Sun's JDK
> > (non rpm) and unpack it where I like, and point Eclipse to it --
> > without trashing the default Java stuff?

> I have NO IDEA how you'd go about asking Eclipse to use an alternate
> JRE, but I'm a big fan of starting with the vendor-packaged tools

Thanks for the info.

BTW, to start Eclipse with an alternate JRE, use
`eclipse -vm /path/to/java/bin/java`

Eli