[wplug] FC4 Java issues

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Thu Jul 14 10:15:05 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:56 -0400, Eli Heady wrote:
> Could anyone using FC4 point me to a good resource on installing
> mutilple JDKs?
>
> I'm having trouble with the GNU Java bundled with FC4. I'm all about
> GNU's efforts, but since Eclipse is running about half as fast as it
> did on FC3 with Sun's JDK, I'm a bit disappointed.
>
> Or maybe someone can just tell me ... can I just download Sun's JDK
> (non rpm) and unpack it where I like, and point Eclipse to it --
> without trashing the default Java stuff? I don't want this to mess up
> OpenOffice, and I've never tried to install multiple JDK's/JVM's from
> Sun, let alone a mix of Sun and GNU.
>
> Thanks
> Eli

I know little of installing alternate JREs, but since nobody's responded
yet I'll comment.

You might be marginally interested to note that RH Desktop includes
IBM's JRE in the Extras channel.

I have NO IDEA how you'd go about asking Eclipse to use an alternate
JRE, but I'm a big fan of starting with the vendor-packaged tools
because it reduces the need to maintain things which aren't tracked by
the package manager.

Grrrr. Red Hat doesn't package alien, which is an awesome program for
making quick-and-dirty custom local packages. I'll usually make a
directory tree with the untracked software, tar it up, and use alien to
easily generate a package. It's my preferred method when I *have* to
bite the bullet and install non-vendor software under Debian, but under
Red Hat if you're picky about cleanliness you'll need to find another
method.

The RH Desktop package is java-1.4.2-ibm-1.4.2.1-1jpp_2rh:0.i386.

Chet