[wplug] MySQL Mirror/Clustering

George Gensure werkt0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:39:46 EDT 2005

Postgres has some pretty-pretty cool strengths, though I'm pretty sure
that you won't need to use a lot of these.  Basically if all you need
is a bit-bucket, MySQL will do you well.  If you need some esoteric
features or elegant interfaces, postgres is your baby

Triggers: cmon, even sqlite supports triggers.  Even if MySQL
supported this, with postgres's pluggable language system, you can
write your triggers/functions in perl, python, ruby and anything else
you want.
Ref. Integrity:  No foreign keys in MyISAM (though they are supported in InnoDB)
Programmable Functions: write something fresh and new, in any language
you choose
subselects: pain in the ASS to do simple subselect activities in MySQL
sql99 conformance:  no other db that i know of has this kind of conformance.
schemas: relegate all of your related db objects to a particular table

lots of other goodies to be found on the postgresql website (www.postgresql.org)

-George