[wplug] MySQL Mirror/Clustering

Shane Liesegang shane at techie.net
Mon Jul 11 13:12:08 EDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> MySQL AB sells support for MySQL cluster, how much more mature do you
> need?  In my opinion, the downside is not stability but the fact that
> the database has to live in main memory; disk-resident clustered
> database is coming "soon".

In your experience, is having the DB in memory a serious liability?
Obviously a power outage would cause problems, but are there other things
I'm not thinking of at the moment?

Essentially, I'm pretty handy with MySQL, but know next to nothing about
setting up clusters. Is MySQL Cluster something I should be able to pick
up relatively quickly, or do you think I would be better using the
additional data layer and controlling the mirroring programatically?

I've looked over the quickstart here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-cluster-quick.html

and it seems like it would be pretty reasonable to set up. I guess I'll
get a couple machines together and start playing around with it to get a
sense of the config.

Thanks for the help!

	- SJML