[wplug] MySQL Mirror/Clustering

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Mon Jul 11 12:47:18 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:31:45PM -0400, Shane Liesegang wrote:

> recall that it was possible to set up MySQL to mirror its DB on
> several machines so if one went down, another could pick up for it
> rather easily. A more thorough investigation, though, shows that the
> MySQL clustering product/project is not really mature yet.

MySQL AB sells support for MySQL cluster, how much more mature do you
need?  In my opinion, the downside is not stability but the fact that
the database has to live in main memory; disk-resident clustered
database is coming "soon".

> At this point, I'm considering setting up our data layer to send
> every update query to a list of machines, and make select queries
> from a random machine off the list (or one machine and it's backup
> if it goes down).

This will work great.

Another option is to use a Layer 4 switch, such as available from the
Linux Virtual Server project (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org).
Synchronizing your data on the backend is the catch; the
aforementioned MySQL Cluster can do it as well as a shared-storage
technology (DAS or SAN).

> purposes better? Has anyone ever set something like this up before?

You're on the right track, this is pretty common stuff.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)