[wplug] MySQL Mirror/Clustering

Shane Liesegang shane at techie.net
Mon Jul 11 12:31:45 EDT 2005

My company is currently working on an application that will be using a
database backend. My tendency is towards MySQL, simply because I'm
familiar with it. However, this app will require at least a few levels of
redundancy, particularly on the database side. I had seemed to recall that
it was possible to set up MySQL to mirror its DB on several machines so if
one went down, another could pick up for it rather easily. A more thorough
investigation, though, shows that the MySQL clustering product/project is
not really mature yet.

At this point, I'm considering setting up our data layer to send every
update query to a list of machines, and make select queries from a random
machine off the list (or one machine and it's backup if it goes down).

For the MySQL gurus, does this seem like a reasonable kind of setup? Is
there another easily scriptable/programmable database that might serve our
purposes better? Has anyone ever set something like this up before?

Shane J. M. Liesegang
Masters Candidate 2006
Entertainment Technology Center
Carnegie Mellon University