[wplug] Uninstalling after building from source (I think)

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 17:10:52 EDT 2005

Hi again folks,

I have another, perhaps basic, question. (I sorry if
I'm annoying the group with the newbie stuff, if I am
please let me know.)  I was trying to get the
Realplayer linux client to work.  (I first trying
using xine, but it only seemed to work for very old
encoded materials.)  I found a deb installer program
that has you download Realplayer 8 (an older version)
from the Real website and you point the installer to
it and it takes it from there.  It installed fine but
when I started the program it froze.  I couldn't open
a terminal to kill it, and I couldn't shutdown x -- in
short, I couldn't do anything -- but I was able to
uninstall it easily via apt because I used the
installer.

Thinking that perhaps it was the older version of
Realplayer at fault, I grabbed the latest from the
real website as a .bin file.
(http://www.real.com/linux/)  I followed the
instructions -- which was:

Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin"

However, now whenever I click on the icon from within
gnome nothing happens.  I'd like to uninstall it, but
since I didn't use apt, I'm at a loss for how to do
it.  The program files are in my home directory and in
/usr/share/, should I just delete those, or is there a
better, more organized way to do it?

Thanks again everyone for all your help as I poke
around and try to figure things out.

Brad