[wplug] OT: humor: oldie but goodie?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Jul 10 04:05:57 EDT 2005

I suppose many here have probably seen this before, but I'm just
discovering it:

http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/login.html

Also see: "Unix History" written as a parody.

http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/etc/unix-history.html

     The first version of the UN*X brand operating system was a game that
     simulated the gravitational motion of all known planets and
     satellites of our solar system. Soon such things as a file system and
     user procedures were grafted onto it.

     .
     .
     .

     In shell, one need only write:

     a = `expr $a + 1`

     where it is essential to have spaces around the + sign to use the $
     sign only before the righthand occurrence of the variable a, and to
     use the backward quote character instead of the common single quote.
     When UN*X brand operating system programmers want to develop an
     application quickly, they often use the shell because of this
     convenient syntax.

-Brandon

no editorial intended.