[wplug] How does Debian connect devices to modules?

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Sat Jul 9 19:54:56 EDT 2005

My laptop has a wireless and a wired interface.  I think I'm using
eth1394 as the module for the wired interface (eth0) and I know I'm
using prism54 for the wireless (eth1).

Where or how does Debian map the device to the module?  How does it know
to connect eth0 to eth1394 and eth1 to prism54?

I ask because I've just upgraded to Etch and also took the opportunity
to try a few things that involved a recompile of the kernel.  Now for
some reason, wireless doesn't work unless I'm in the port replicator
(docked).  When undocked, I do an lsmod and I see the prism54 module
loaded, but when I run iwconfig it reports no wireless extensions for
eth1.  I have no idea why it is working when docked.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
 Never work for a sawmill that's so behind that they don't have time to
sharpen the blades. -- Will Hayes, Software Engineering Institute