[wplug] Permissions quesion

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 22:50:38 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,

I have a permissions question for you all.  I have
mounted my windows drive to successfully to
/media/windows.  Everything looks ok, occasionally it
shows up on my desktop (sometimes it doesn't I don't
know why), and when I click on properties within the
gnome file manager it correctly lists the space
available, etc.  However, I can't read it.  It says
that I do not have the permissions necessary to read
the contents of the directory.

So I got out my copy of "Running Linux" and read the
relevant section on permissions and did this:

sudo chmod 444 /media/windows/

No luck.  Since I still don't really understand the
whole sudo vs root concept, and thinking this might be
related to that, I went to one of the Ubuntu help
pages and they suggested using this to get a root
prompt:

sudo -s -H

With the root prompt I put in the same command I tried
previously, but with still no luck.  Am I messing
something up with chmod?  Should I be using another
command?  And for the record, the windows drive is
mounted as read-only, is that an issue with the
command I put in?  Doesn't 444 give read-only access
to everyone?  Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Brad