[wplug] gdm: "Failsafe dialog failed"

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Jul 8 12:54:31 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Robert E. Coutch wrote:

> What distro are you using?

Debian testing -- nearly current.  The problem exists only for my user and
it exists no matter what Desktop Environment I select (Gnome, KDE, Xfce).
I'm fairly confident now that it's not an X problem, strictly -- since X
still starts for my user, it just exits shortly thereafter.

I've posted to the debian-testing list and am in a bit of a conversation
there; I just now mailed a message to the (relatively disused) gdm mailing
list asking for an explanation of the error message below, though it
doesn't seem to be a gdm problem either.

I'm pulling at straws here.  Would welcome suggestions.

Regarding the font server: That has been the same all along, and the
config file says that it falls back to the explicit font paths in case
there is no font server running, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks again,
Brandon