[wplug] Myth and External USB Sound

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jul 7 16:47:03 EDT 2005

> I'm currently in the process of building a small form factor PC to run
> MythTV. Because I'm using a micro-ATX board, I'm a bit short on slots,
> which means I either want a sound card that includes FireWire or an
> external sound box that connects over USB.
>
> Creative seems to make several cards with FireWire, but they don't seem to
> have optical out, which I would prefer to have for running in to my
> receiver. They also make external boxes that seem to have the appropriate
> output connectors, but I'm wary of their usefulness in Linux.
>
> A brief search didn't turn up anything to inspire my confidence, and I was
> wondering if anyone on the list has any experience getting these sorts of
> devices (whether from Creative or anyone else) working with Linux.

 	I got this USB fob with my Sony MD Walkman -- definately a stupid
idea of making it only a walkman. They bundled this USB fob, which has a
single optical output. When you plug it into a Windows computer, it just
thinks it is a USB soundcard. I haven't tried this with Linux, but I would
assume it works, and you can have it if you put it to use, and I may have
the optical cable for it -- hit me up offlist.

 	MythTV is freaking awesome, btw.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net