[wplug] OT: recommended cheep video card w/ 3d accel

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Tue Jul 5 18:32:38 EDT 2005

I don't have a spare but I'd like to recommend a card.

The ATI Radeon 9200 (and I think the 9250 also).
This card is the most recent 3D card with native Linux support for 3D.
You can find these for under $100 and it's even good enough to play games
based on the Quake 3 engine at decent framerates.

Want cheaper?
A GeForce2 MX400 can be had for around $40 and for that same price,
look at the Radeon 7000.
Those cards come in AGP and PCI.

GeForce (Nvidia) cards will require Nvidia's drivers for 3D.

For a low end 3D system I really recommend the older ATI cards (9250 and
earlier) because of the built-in driver and 3D support with Xfree86 and
X.org.

Hope this helps,

Bob