[wplug] OT: recommended cheep video card w/ 3d accel

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Jul 5 15:12:26 EDT 2005

I am looking for a video card that has hardware 3d acceleration for my
desktop PC (Debian).  The reason for this is that I want to see the OpenGL
and otherwise 3d-enabled Xscreensaver hacks that I have always turned off
on my laptop because they are too slow.

Jamie Zawinski, in the man page for xscreensaver, says:

"Your options are: don't use the OpenGL display modes; or, collect the
spare change hidden under the cushions of your couch, and use it to buy a
video card manufactured after 1998. (It doesn't even need to be fast 3D
hardware: the problem will be fixed if there is any 3D hardware at all.)"

So, I want something that satisfies that requirement.  I was wondering (a)
whether any WPLUG members had a video card laying around that they would
like to sell or donate, or (b) what equipment you folks would recommend I
buy.  I really don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks,
Brandon