[wplug] OT: Download data with zip code and long/lat?

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 12:04:43 EDT 2005

On 7/1/05, Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, branen salmon wrote:
> > [2] http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/zips.txt
>
> That was exactly what I was looking for!

Oddly, I was looking for that too, only I didn't know it yet! Thank
you, Mr. Salmon!

> Now, anyone know where I can find a CSV that has zip codes and what time
> zone?  Or is time zone directly tied with longitude (in a straight line)?

That's not as easy, since the time zone boundaries don't run along
lines of longitude. In fact, there are some states and localities that
don't recognize Daylight Savings Time at all.
http://geography.about.com/cs/daylightsavings/a/dst.htm

Given latitude, longitude, and day of the year, you could determine
your time zone. But I don't know where you can find that info online
in a CSV file.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>