[wplug] OT: Download data with zip code and long/lat?

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Jul 1 18:25:09 EDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Russ Schneider wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can download a CSV file (or equiv) that would
> have all US zip codes and their associated longitude and latitude?

I tried searching for something similar months ago. I couldn't find
anything that didn't require a payment per zip code. I was going to
suggest looking at the new google maps api and see if that offered what
you needed, but they don't include that yet.
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

The USPS who defines these boundries might be able to help:
http://www.usps.com/ncsc/addressinfo/addressinfomenu.htm

I also came across this url fairly quickly:
http://geocoder.us/

Keep in mind the note found here:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tigermap.html#ZIP

The fact that ZIP Codes aren't required to be polygons makes them
difficult to map.

That would also make them hard to put into a csv file.

-james