[wplug] OT: Download data with zip code and long/lat?

branen salmon branen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 18:07:44 EDT 2005

On 7/1/05, Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can download a CSV file (or equiv) that would
> have all US zip codes and their associated longitude and latitude?

The Census Bureau used to maintain such a list, but stopped in 1990
[1].  Wisely, though, they've kept the final version available for
download at [2].

More generally, this is something about which I've been interested for
a while--what kind of publicly available sources are there for
geographic data?  Surely, the ability to locate political boundaries,
road locations, water masses, topography, etc. is not the exclusive
domain of Navtech and co... right?

--branen

[1] http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tigermap.html#ZIP
[2] http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/zips.txt