[wplug] debian and device ownership.

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Jan 31 11:57:39 EST 2005

So I've somewhat successfully migrated all of our workstations from redhat
sometheing or other over to debian testing. I've resolved most of the
problems however there are a couple I have yet to fix. One of the is the
ownership of devices in Debian. Specifically, after logging into redhat
under gdm the owner ship of various devices (/dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, etc.)
would change to the user who just logged into that machine. Now in debian
they have some audio group which I believe the correct method is to add
each user to access the devices to the audio group. This would work our
passwd file is pushed by our nis server and don't want to update the audio
group on each machine when a new user is added. There are a couple
solutions I've considered:

 o change permissions on the devices to something less restrictive 777
 o add an nisdevs group and change the ownership of the devices on each
   machine to that of nisdevs

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered similar issues, and what
they might have done to address them.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E