[wplug] default printers for firefox on linux

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 28 17:18:02 EST 2005

Sometime in January Kevin Squire assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| This has to do with the Xprint service that the Mozilla family are all
| using.  I found that by stoping the Xprint service, the @:64 stuff were
| all gone, and everything still printed fine.  In fact, my 4 @:64
| printers were printing everything wrong.  It increased the size of
| EVERYTHING.  I printed out the google front page as a test, and about
| half way down the page, up against the right hand margin was the "GOO"
| and nothing else.

I had this problem also. I thought it might have been related to the fact
that the default paper size was A4, but I wasn't really sure.

| In debian I just did (as root)
| 	/etc/init.d/xprint stop
| Then to make it perminate (again as root)
| 	update-rc.d -f xprint remove

That works for me.

| If anyone knows why I sould NOT have done this, or have a better
| solution - I am open to it. :-)

A similar question: Is there anything wrong with uninstalling  xprt-common
and xprt-xprintorg? There doesn't appear to be anything depending on either
package.

| > Also is it possible to specify the default printer arbitrarily?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Kevin.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E