[wplug] Enlightenment

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jan 28 16:28:33 EST 2005

Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> With recent X servers and video hardware, you don't need to specify
> the modelines, just the modes. The server will pick the best modeline
> given the device and monitor characteristics.  For example:

In an ideal world this would be true.  However, X will often pick a
modeline that either drives the monitor at a frequency the monitor can't
handle, or one that isn't appropriate.  The reason I provided the VESA
modelines is because one can be fairly confidant that the display will
look good at the VESA standard resolution.

If it just works with what X picks, consider yourself lucky.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>