[wplug] Open Solaris

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jan 28 10:41:37 EST 2005

It all sounds like a bunch of FUD to me.

Whether or not it will benefit Sun is something I'm not going to try
to guess at, but I can't see it causing any major problems.

Of course, the MPL is very similar to Sun's CDDL, and we see how much
that has hurt Mozilla and it's kind.  I mean, _nobody_ using linux
uses any MPLed software - it's totally rejected.

I don't see it being any bigger a problem than the never-ending fight
between the BSDs and their license and the GPLed licensed stuff.

"Robert E. Coutch" <robert.coutch at verizon.net> wrote:
> Ooops,
>
> I edited the first link and broke it.
> Try this:
> "Sun open-source license could mean Solaris-Linux barrier"
> http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5476123.html
>
> On Friday 28 January 2005 10:30 am, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> > I was thinking more along the lines of this:
> >
> > "Sun open-source license could mean Solaris-Linux barrier"
> > http://www.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5476123.html
> >
> > "How Open Will Open Solaris Really Be?"
> > http://www.informationweek.webservicespipeline.com/57702879
> >
> > "Sun License Thumbs Nose at GPL"
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1739000,00.asp
> >
> > On Friday 28 January 2005 01:25 am, David Ostroske wrote:
> > > Their open source license, the CDDL, is based on the Mozilla Public
> > > License, and it's OSI-approved.
> > > http://opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php
> > >
> > > Of course that doesn't mean it's "free" (I think that's what you mean)
> > > like the GPL. But then, neither is the MPL.
> > >
> > > Opening up Solaris might mean something to somebody. We'll see, unless
> > > one of us is really following this, if this is a win for Sun, Open
> > > Source, Linux, or anybody.
> > >
> > > There's one guy who really doesn't care, though, and that's Linus
> > > Torvalds. But that's one man's opinion.

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com