[wplug] D-trace (was Open Solaris)

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:24:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 09:15 -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:56:46 -0500, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > As a debugging tool, D-trace is tha shit though.  :)
>
> Is D-Trace available in Debian GNU/Linux (unstable)? I want a
> graphical debugger - tired of just using gdb.

Nope, it's just been released for Solaris.  D-Trace is more than just
your regular debugger though, it's just some heavy lifting hooks into
Solaris, which will take some time to get into Linux.

If you're looking for a nice graphical debugger, might I suggest DDD?  I
use it all the time and it's great for visualizing structures in memory,
profiling, etc.

FYI for folks on the list, a question like "is XXX available in
YYY?" (where XXX=some program, and YYY=your flavor of
debian/ubutnu/other apt distro) be solved with "apt-get update &&
apt-cache search XXX".  If you're running Debian you can also check out
http://packages.debian.org/

--Patrick