[wplug] Enlightenment

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jan 28 09:22:58 EST 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Brad Hoover wrote:
> I am now poking around with enlightenment and I am
> having the same problem, the screen scrolls when I
> mouse to the edges.  I'm pretty sure that it is the
> same issue, however,  Enlightenment does not give me
> an option to make a change in refresh rate from its
> context menus (at least I haven't found it yet).  I
> tried running the gnome display properties from
> /usr/bin but that doesn't work.

> Brad

You need to configure X, not gnome or Enlightenment.

Xorg and XFree86 are X servers that run the X11 protocol.  X interacts
with your video card, monitor and input devices to give you a bitmapped
desktop.  However, the X server doesn't have any windows or panels or
docks.  Those are provided by X clients.

Gnome and Enlightenment are simply window managers -- X programs that
make the edge of the windows look nice with title-bars and colorful
buttons.  They put a dock or a menu on the screen.  They have no
control over the resolution of the screen, the frequency of the refresh
rate or number of colors on the screen.   However, Gnome has a widget
that edits the X configuration, however it is not always successful in
giving you what you want.

The reason why you're getting the 'scrolling' behavior is that you have
configured X to display at a higher resolution than the limits defined
in the X configuration.  So it runs the screen at the highest possible
resolution, and sets a virtual resolution of what you defined in the X
configuration.

What you want to do is reconfigure X with a different Modeline.  This
configuration change depends on the specifics of your monitor, so there
is no way I could say specifically, however I can give you some
Modelines that are VESA standards:

   # 1024x768 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 60.15 kHz; pclk: 81.80 MHz
   Modeline "1024x768_75.00"  81.80  1024 1080 1192 1360  768 769 772
802  -HSync +Vsync

   # 1280x1024 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 80.17 kHz; pclk: 138.54 MHz
   Modeline "1280x1024_75.00"  138.54  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1025
1028 1069  -HSync +Vsync

   # 1600x1200 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 93.97 kHz; pclk: 205.99 MHz
   Modeline "1600x1200_75.00"  205.99  1600 1720 1896 2192  1200 1201
1204 1253  -HSync +Vsync

--

Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>