[wplug] samba: linux mounting FreeBSD: wrong file ownership

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Jan 27 21:43:29 EST 2005

I am using Samba on my server (running FreeBSD) and would like to connect
to it with both my desktop (still Windows) and my laptop (Debian Sarge).
The windows machine has no problems (Samba is, after all, its native
tongue) but I have problems with the laptop.

Both server and client are using version 3.0.10 of samba (the latest
available from either distribution).

When I mount a filesystem I give the option uid=alocaluser.  The manual
page says that the 'uid' option specifies which user will own the mounted
files on the local machine.  However, when I then change to the mounts and
ls -l, I see the uid of the owner on the remote system, and I don't have
write access on the laptop.

If this isn't clear, let me clarify:  on ocean (server) user 'b' is 505,
and on deepblue (client) user 'b' is 1000.  I mount the drive using the
command:
mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/path/to/creds,uid=b //ocean/b /path/to/mnt

If I add in the options 'fmask=0644,dmask=0755' nothing changes.

The command completes successfully.  But when I 'ls -l /path/to/mnt' I see
that the files are all owned by '505'.  In the root directory of the
mount, I have all the normal permissions to read, write, and so on.
However, I cannot create or delete files in subdirectories.  Strangely, I
can still modify files in subdirectories.

I cannot figure out whether the problem is with the client or the server.
Web searches have turned up red herrings.  I thought I would ask for
advice locally before turning to the samba list.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon